Comber Historical Society

Comber Pipe Band at a competition in Dublin c. 1950.

Comber Rec Football Club c 1968

John Miller Andrews with members of Comber Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) c. 1913, probably at Clandeboye Camp.

Second Comber Presbyterian Church in the 1930s from an old postcard.

Brownlow Street 1930s from an old postcard.

Lots of activity outside the Thompson Hall c. 1920s. Note Charlie Shufflebottom’s shop on the right and the railway arch in the background.

The 1953 coronation celebrations were quite an occasion in Comber. Queen Elizabeth herself even puts in an appearance on the cart! Anyone recognise themselves?

The Lower Distillery dam with the Crescent in the background 1920s.

Crowds at North Down Cricket Club during the fete in 1904 from an old postcard.

The former level-crossing keeper’s cottage on the Ballygowan Road 1961. Note the road closed sign. This was because the railway bridge in High Street had been demolished during the construction of Phase 1 of the Bypass.

The legendary Cummer Ann Maxwell, general haulier, described as a rather uncouth woman, who could be seen on the roads with her jennet and cart in the 1920s.

The Upper Distillery dam looking towards Second Comber. This is now the church car park.

Robert Gibson, driver, with one of the buses owned by Samuel Davidson of Killinchy Street. This picture was taken at the opening of Ardmillan Orange Hall in 1924.

The North Down cricket pavilion, opened in 1909, from an old postcard.

The fancy dress parade at Comber Primary School sports held at North Down Cricket Club. Note the old grain store (sometimes called the Piggery) in the background.

An old view of Railway Street taken from outside the Orange Hall. The railway line to Ballygowan runs along the left hand side of the street.

The coloured backgrounds indicate a completed page, the workman shows where a page is being built.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8