A NEW BOOK
Remembering Rolo Gillespie
by Desmond Rainey
and Laura Spence
Launch Date Monday
3rd November 2014
Comber Primary School,
The people of Comber, its Industry,
its Characters and people of action
in photographic form.
The sad passing of
Britains greatest Jazz Singer.
COMBER TOWN SQUARE
as it used to be.
THE TITANIC CONNECTION
New Information and links
Read Norman Nevin's unpublished
history of Comber, prefaced by a
foreword by Erskine Willis.
Jim Gracey's comprehensive
Directory of Comber
is available now as a 30mb PDF file.
A Taste of Old Comber
A good read by Len Ball &
ISBN1 - 870132 - 06 - 08
Author: Desmond Rainey and Laura Spence
Publisher: Ulster Historical Foundation
Publication Date: October 2011
Order online now at:- www.booksireland.org.uk
This book paints an intimate picture of Comber, County Down, home town of Thomas
Andrews Junior, Shipbuilder, during the thirty-nine years of his short but hugely influential life
It provides an outline of Thomas and the Andrews family; and will be gratefully acknowledged
by the many who seek to learn more about this modest man – one of the most iconic, yet
relatively unknown, personalities associated with RMS Titanic.
Thomas Andrews Junior was Chief Engineer in what was then the largest shipyard in the
world, Harland and Wolff. Many of Comber’s inhabitants worked in the shipyard and
celebrated the launch of RMS Titanic on 31st May 1911. A Chronicle of Comber describes
something of the impact on the town and the Andrews family of the tragic events of the
Join the 1912 ‘walking tour’ to see Comber as Thomas himself would have seen it – or peruse
the Ulster Directories of 1870 and 1912 to meet people he knew. Read about the Andrews
family industries, the businesses, schools, churches and organisations in the town. The book
includes a diary of local events, 1873–1912, based on articles in the Newtownards Chronicle –
as well as detailing key world events at the time. These were the subjects that would have been
discussed round the dining table at Ardara, the Andrews family home.
This illustrated book will have an intrinsic appeal for anyone with an interest in Thomas
Andrews and Titanic, and also for those interested in learning more about the historic town of
Comber, County Down.
This sign is an indication of the most recent postings.
4th February 2020
Worse things happen at Sea
My how time flies, another four weeks have passed and we find the Comber Historical Society busily preparing for our guest speaker Mr Terry Needham. As is customary at the opening of the meeting Chairman Mr Robert Bennett conducted any relevant business, welcomed visitors, guests and members before welcoming our guest speaker. Terry, a native of Grimsby, has been a Society member for some time now and would, in general, be regarded as one of the quieter less noticeable but important contributors. This presentation as the title suggests was nautical based giving most of us an insight to sea going affairs we would not normally consider. At the outset two books were recommended, “The Kenbane Head” and “The Last Grain Race” suggested for further reading to those who might delve further into the subject. At home with his subject Terry introduced us to the variety of Schooners which navigated the waters around the British Isles throwing in some interesting information regarding a privateer named “Amazon” which sank around 1780. An interesting story concerning the “Asgard” owned by President Erskine Childers and located in the Collins Barracks Museum in Dublin was brought to our attention as was the Kipper / Mackerel industry based in Isle of Man. Perhaps most recent in the memory to most was the item regarding the sinking of the RMS Lusitania during May 1915 which turned public opinion against Germany, of the 2.000 passengers 1.198 were lost at sea. Many other wonderful pieces regarding the flotilla of small vessels which chartered our coastal waters were brought to life and fully supported by a well constructed Power Point Presentation. All had been thoroughly and well researched as was evidenced by at warm round of applause at the conclusion of the programme. Several questions were addressed to Mr Needham to which he was able to display his nautical knowledge. Tea/Coffee were as usual on hand at the conclusion of the evening. Our venue is The Park Way Centre, Comber where we will meet on Monday 10th February at 8pm. Hill Wilson will present the topic … “The development of the Linen Industry in Comber” this programme deserves our full support. A nominal domination of £4 is requested to help offset expenses.
Billy McCullough, press officer.
EDMUND De WIND V C |
Memorial badges depicting
Edmund De Wind VC are
available from Comber
Historical Society the price
is £3 Sterling plus P&P.
Size is 2cm x 2.6cm or ¾" x
1 inch approximately.
Contact Editor at Sixgolds
COMBER HISTORICAL SOCIETY (CHS)
Welcome to the Website of Comber Historical Society. The Society was formed in 2000 and aims to preserve and record information relating to Comber and to make it available to all those with an interest in our town. Whether you are interested in the history of the town, its people, places and events - or want to learn more about Comber as it is today, there will be something on the site for everybody. Please do get in touch with any comments and we'd be delighted to receive any old photographs or information you may have about Comber. This site will be regularly updated so please keep visiting.
You may wish to come along to meetings of Comber Historical Society. We meet on the second Monday of the month (September to April). at Comber Learning Centre, 1 Park Way Comber at 8.00 pm.
A donation of £4.00 per meeting is sought to help with costs
Some of the images to the left are clickable.
Comber Historical Society |
Programme for 2020
Comber Historical Society meets in the Community Centre, Park Way, off Killinchy Street, Comber BT23 5AR at 8 pm on the 2nd Monday in the month from September to May.
A £4 contribution includes Tea / Biscuits.
For further details contact:
Elizabeth McCullough (Hon., Secretary) (028) 97521014
- February 10th "The Industries of Comber"
- Hill Wilson
- March 9th "The Curran Murder"
- Stephen Cameron
- April 6th "The history of Belfast Zoo"
- Raymond Robinson.
- SUMMER OUTING
To be arranged, then details will be published here
and in other literature. These outings are very popular
so it is essential to book early.
| Officers for 2019 - 2020.|
|Press Officer||Billy McCullough|
All elected unanimously.
|Web Editor||Adrian Hanna|
|Honorary Life Member||
Mrs Kathleen Coulter ||
Comar, meeting place of the waters, that was the name given by the ancients to a settlement at the northwest corner of Strangford Lough at the confluence of the Enler and Glen Rivers. Today we call it Comber, famous for its spuds.
Nomadic hunter gatherers arrived here around 10,000 years ago. St Patrick followed in their footsteps and founded a monastery, but its fame was eclipsed by the medieval Cistercian Abbey. Today that has vanished, and St Mary's Parish Church occupies the site. 1606 saw an influx of Scots under James Hamilton and Hugh Montgomery. Among the newcomers were the ancestors of the Andrews family who brought much prosperity to Comber. By the late 18th century John, known as "the great", had established a linen bleach green, corn mills and a flour mill. In 1864 his grandson erected a flax spinning mill. Later members of the family include Thomas of Titanic fame and his elder brother John Miller, wartime prime minister.
Old Comber whiskey was produced at two distilleries in the town. Last distilling was in 1952, although the odd bottle is still available, at a price! Comber was also a railway junction, with steam trains chugging their way through for exactly 100 years from 1850. Today the long-awaited bypass runs along the route of the old track.
No visitor can fail to notice a tall monument in Comber's Georgian Square. This commemorates Sir Robert Rollo Gillespie, who fought against the French and was killed while attempting to storm the fortress of Kalunga in Nepal in 1814. His reputed last words were "One shot more for the honour of Down" Another valiant soldier who made the supreme sacrifice was Edmund de Wind, awarded the Victoria Cross in 1918.
The Ulster Scots Agency offers a wide range of activities so why not give them a quick visit.
HOW YOU MAY CONTRIBUTE
One of the aims of Comber Historical Society is to preserve and record the history of Comber by noting all historical documents, artefacts, photographs and audio-video material relating to the town. We would be delighted if anyone who has any records or memories of Comber would get in touch.
Contact Desmond Rainey on 028 9187 8482 or email :-
NOTE FROM THE WEB EDITOR
The web editor is Adrian Hanna. I can be contacted at the address shown in the box below.
Should you wish to reproduce any material from this site, please credit Comber Historical Society.
New recruits always welcome.