Comber Historical Society

Aerial view of Comber Square in 1993 taken from the tower of St Mary’s Church.

Galbraith’s grocery shop in Mill Street.

Comber Gas Works in Mill Street shortly after closure in 1957. Any further pictures of Comber Gas Works in existence?

Rev Jones with the newly formed Second Comber Girls Brigade in 1948.

The Glebe House beside St Mary’s was formerly the home of the rector. It was demolished in 1958.

The six-storey Grain Store was built by the Andrews family in 1863 and was later taken over by the Distillery. After World War Two it was used as a piggery by two retired Indian Army colonels. One of these was the father of Paddy Ashdown, former leader of the Liberal Democrats.

The grain store was destroyed in a huge blaze in 1978.

A captured German field gun was presented to the town in memory of Edmund de Wind and sat in the Square between the wars. Here it is being removed during World War Two for use as scrap metal in the war effort. Plaques from the gun are preserved in St Mary’s Church.

High Street was once very narrow. Here we see it being widened in the 1950s.

Comber Home Guard, early 1940s.

Comber Square c. 1900 from an old postcard. Note the old shed beside the Gillespie Monument. This housed the Distillery weighbridge.

Island Hill was once Comber’s answer to the Costa Del Sol!

James Miskelly in his Castle Street shop in the 1950s, surrounded by jars of sweets, bars of chocolate and bottles of pop.

Comber First World War Memorial 1920s. The Memorial was unveiled on 14th April 1923 by Mrs Edith Hind, nee Andrews.

Rev Jones was minister of Second Comber from 1927 until 1969. This picture dates from 2nd April 1970 when a retirement social was held in his honour.

The North Down team which won hockey’s Kirk Cup in 1921.

The coloured backgrounds indicate a completed page, the workman shows where a page is being built.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8